Software License
Mentalis.org Buttons
Donate

Forums -> Security Library Forum

Problems connection to SSL enabled IRC servers on Link-Net  
by Peter Blomqvist [peter dot blomqvist at bostream dot nu]
posted on 2004/07/05

Hi there,

I've run into some problems I can't handle, I keep getting disconnected when trying to do a secure connect againt link-net (irc) works correct on other irc nets.

I have managed to trace the problem down to the ProcessServerHello message where there are two problems first it fails due to the fact that the handshake expects 22 in the first byte and gets 21 instead and also the buffer size is 7 when it is required to be 11 or more.

The buffer recieved looks like this, but I really don't know what to do with it:

temp {Length=7} byte[]
[0] 21 byte
[1] 3 byte
[2] 1 byte
[3] 0 byte
[4] 2 byte
[5] 2 byte
[6] 40 byte

Many thanks for any help, Peter Blomqvist

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2004/07/05

The buffer you've posted is actually an error message that means "handshake failure". This error is probably sent because the server and client do not possess a shared cipher suite. Most likely, the server you're connecting to only supports the Diffie-Hellman cipher suites, while our Security Library only supports the RSA cipher suites.

by Peter Blomqvist [peter dot blomqvist at bostream dot nu]
posted on 2004/07/06

Thanks for the quick reply, are there any plans on supporting Diffie-Hellman cipher suites in you library.

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2004/07/06

No, there are no such plans. At this moment, we're not planning to add new functionality to the library, we only fix bugs.
The next version of the .NET framework also supports SSL sockets. This implementation should support the DH cipher suites.

Copyright © 2002-2007, The Mentalis.org Team. All rights reserved.
This site is located at http://www.mentalis.org/
Send comments to the webmaster.