Send Comments
Software License
Mentalis.org Buttons
Donate

Forums -> Security Library Forum

FTP Data Channel over SSL  
by Henrik [REMOVEhenrikALL at ihUPPERCASE dot nu]
posted on 2005/05/29

First off, congrats to a real great library (seclib)

I started to create a class to handle secure ftp, based upon your sample ftpclient. everything was good, until it came to data channel, I cant find any documentation on how to initialize the tranfer of filelist or whatever.

Lets say we are in passive mode, we send the PASV command so the server opens up a port for us, the two last parts of the response is the port, ((part1 << 10) + part2) gives us the port-number

Now that we have that, what do we do? From what I have read so far we need to do some Key Exchange of some kind, trying to sniff traffic with ethereal no a flashfxp conversation obviously doesnt give anything to look at :/

With hope that someone else is tired of IP*Works (and other) taking out outrageous prices for their components ($900+ !!!)

- Henrik

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2005/05/30

The Security Library package includes an FTP client example (with SSL support, of course). Is this what you're looking for?

by Henrik
posted on 2005/06/01

Yes, this class is based upon the example, however, the example doesnt do anything more than connect and send one command, QUIT.

My class can do most things expected of a ftp class, but I still miss the part where a data channel is needed (filelist and transfers).

From what I understand, a key exchange have to be sent over the data channel, "in some way" this is where im stuck atm.

- Henrik

by Alfonso Ferrandez
posted on 2005/06/06

HI Henrik,

I suggest you have a look at the full Proxy Demo Application by the Mentalis Team. It uses standard sockets, rather than SecureSockets but it does show quite well how to implement the concept of the FTP data connection. I've no doubt that this will help you greatly.

Cheers!
Alfonso

by Fred [CompGodd at hotmail dot com]
posted on 2005/06/23

Having just written a data channel using the SecureSocket from the library, all you need to do is call the "ChangeSecurityProtocol" of the new data channel with the same SecurityOptions object used on the command channel.

I've got it working that way.

by Deepak Vasudevan [deepak dot k dot vasudevan at verizon dot com]
posted on 2005/06/25

Hi:

Can you guide me to some Secure FTP supporting servers?

Deepak

Copyright © 2002-2007, The Mentalis.org Team. All rights reserved.
This site is located at http://www.mentalis.org/
Send comments to the webmaster.